England champ Darren Cheesman kicks off Wapping hockey club’s open day on home turf
- Credit: Archant
England International Darren Cheesman kicked off a public open day staged by the Wapping hockey club in London’s East End.
The club threw its doors open on Saturday to all adults who want to give hockey a try—whether they are complete beginners, seasoned professionals or haven’t played since school.
The champ started it all off at Wapping’s John Orwell centre in the 2012 Olympic ‘host’ borough of Tower Hamlets, with a short demonstration of his skills, followed by men’s trials, social mixed hockey and women’s trials.
Cheesman, born in Hackney, a neighbouring 2012 ‘host’ borough, is a member of the England and Great Britain teams who was also in the national Under 21s squad that won Silver at the 2007 Junior Olympic Games in Sydney.
The club’s publicist Vicky Morphew said: “It’s our policy this year is to encourage people into sport.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re building on east London’s Olympics legacy and following the inspiring bronze medal the women’s hockey team achieved at the 2012 Games.”
The club is currently running dedicated beginners training session for those who have never played the sport, or those getting back into it after a long absence. Membership details can be emailed on email@example.com.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 8 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 9 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns