Heave-ho as kids pull their weight for the Wapping Olympics
Revellers held their own ‘Olympics’ on the Thames waterfront with events such as the egg & spoon race and of course the prestigious ‘all nations’ tug o’war.
An embarrassed band of mums and dads dressed in pirate headgear lost the tug o’war to a team from a pub on the waterfront, while the kids grimaced and heaved with their own junior tugging version.
It was enough to tug at the heart-strings watching the youngsters enjoy a day of fun at Saturday’s Wapping Summer Shindig.
Egg & Spoon champ 2011 was proud six-year-old Kenzie Matthews, who took the top podium spot. But organisers of the ‘Wapping Olympics’ dispensed with the National Anthem.
The Met river police HQ and nearby Hermitage Moorings held an open day as part of the community festival organised by the Turks Head community charity held on Wapping Green.
You may also want to watch:
Roads were closed for the Children’s Parade, followed by ‘Wapping’s Got Talent’ live show on a giant stage.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave