In the spotlight
By Maddalena Dottori Burcu Akin, 35, opened Handmade Interiors in Cheshire Street six months ago with business partner Piyush Suri, 37. The showroom features many handmade and natural products, from accessories to jewellery and furniture. Handmade Interi
By Maddalena Dottori
Burcu Akin, 35, opened Handmade Interiors in Cheshire Street six months ago with business partner Piyush Suri, 37. The showroom features many handmade and natural products, from accessories to jewellery and furniture. Handmade Interiors showcases the work of various British and London designers.
- Where are you from?
I was born in Istanbul, Turkey but I moved to London 11 years ago. I live in Maida Vale with my husband Okan, who is Turkish too. I am now eight months pregnant with my first son.
You may also want to watch:
- What do you like about the East End?
I like the fact that it is very creative and culturally vibrant. There's a very interesting mix of people.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- What don't you like about the East End?
I think there are shabby, rundown buildings, especially around Cheshire Street. There are so many architecturally interesting buildings, but it is a shame no one looks after them. They are just left there empty and unused.
- What do you do to relax?
I read a lot, especially books that talk about the history of London, and Britain in general. The last two books I read are 'Restoration London' by Liza Picard and a biography of Henry VIII.
I also like going antiques shopping. If I, can I try to go to car boot sales outside London. In London I like the markets around Tower Bridge and Alexandra Palace and those organised by the Royal Horticultural Society.
- Where do you go if you are out up East?
I like to go to restaurants around Brick Lane, Columbia Road Market and Hoxton Square. There is a lovely Spanish restaurant in Columbia Road and we often go out to eat at Harem, a Turkish restaurant in Brick Lane.