In the spotlight
Sam Simons, 33, is the store manager of Sniff shoe shop in Spitalfields Market. He lives in Hackney Wick. Why do you like it round here? In the past 20 years I ve lived in north, south, east and west London and I like it round here best. Most of the peo
Sam Simons, 33, is the store manager of Sniff shoe shop in Spitalfields Market. He lives in Hackney Wick.
Why do you like it round here?
In the past 20 years I've lived in north, south, east and west London and I like it round here best. Most of the people here are more welcoming than anywhere else.
There is a shop on Brick Lane, Mendoza, it's a retro clothing store that I really like. My favourite place to eat round here is a Thai stall in the market on Petticoat Lane.
You may also want to watch:
What don't you like round here?
I don't like the changing of the shops on the high street. There use to be all independent shops. Now we have Office, next we will have Primark.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 5 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
The other thing I don't like about round here is bikes are getting stolen all the time. I got my bike stolen from right outside this shop the Sunday before last - they got it on camera. It's a vintage 1979 classic Raleigh town bike, which I made myself. When I reported it stolen to the police I thought it was a waste of time.
I went up to Brick Lane last Sunday where they sell all the bikes and I saw a couple with my bike. The girl said she bought it for her boyfriend off Gumtree (a classifieds website). I called the police and they came and asked me a few questions to prove it was mine. I told them about the scratches which I knew exactly where they were on the bike and I showed them the key I had and how it fits the bike. There should be tighter controls on selling bikes there.
What would you do if you were mayor of London?
If I was mayor of London I would spend more money on building skate parks.