Jo Brand hosts comedy talent competition
A FISTFUL of funnies and gags galore are on offer at Hackney s Empire theatre tonight (Saturday) as sassy stalwart Jo Brand hosts the Best of New Act of the Year show. Brand, a comedy favourite at the Empire, presents this year s batch of seven rising com
A FISTFUL of funnies and gags galore are on offer at Hackney's Empire theatre tonight (Saturday) as sassy stalwart Jo Brand hosts the Best of New Act of the Year show.
Brand, a comedy favourite at the Empire, presents this year's batch of seven rising comic stars who were chosen by a panel of industry judges and promoters in the New Act of the Year final in January.
Topping the bill is winner and Stoke Newington's very own Fergus Craig, previously best known as one half of sketch duo Colin and Fergus and now making a name for himself as a solo stand up.
Joining him is Seann Walsh, who last month provided stellar support to rapturous applause for Stephen K Amos's Find The Funny tour, which finished its national run at the Empire.
You may also want to watch:
Six-woman sketch act Lady Garden, and runners-up Jason Paterson, Jim Park, Craig Murray and David James complete the line up, which has been acclaimed as one of the best all round shows for years.
New Act of the Year has in previous years produced many of today's top comedians including Matt Lucas, Catherine Tate, Simon Amstell and Gina Yashere to name but a few. On current form, this year's acts look set to follow suit.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
Best of New Act of the Year is showing at Mare Street's Hackney Empire tonight (Saturday) at 8pm. Tickets cost �14.50. Call the box office on 020 8985 2424 or visit www.hackneyempire.co.uk for more information.