‘Olympics’ opens with egg & spoon race and tug o’war on Thames waterfront
Revellers are holding their own ‘Olympics’ tomorrow on the Thames waterfront with events such as a beanbag race, egg & spoon race and of course the tug o’war.
The Met river police HQ (pictured) and nearby Hermitage Moorings hold an open day as part of the Wapping Summer Shindig in London’s East End.
There will also be a children’s parade and a ‘Wapping’s Got Talent’ live show.
The all-day fun organised by the Turks Head community charity begins at 10am on The Green in Wapping Lane, when roads are closed to traffic.
Junctions will be shut at Watts Street/Wapping Lane and Meeting House Alley/Chandler Street till 8pm—but Tench Street and Reardon Street remain open so drivers can still get to Wapping Green.
You may also want to watch:
The Children’s Parade is 1.30-2pm, with the ‘Prince and Princess of the Parade’ prizegiving at 2.30pm.
It is followed by the coveted ‘Wapping Olympics’ at 3.15pm, then the ‘Wapping’s Got Talent’ live show at 4.15pm on a giant stage.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
The festivities end with Music Night from 6pm with Felix All Stars, Paul & Joe, Diddley Dee.