Pub Spy: The Camel, Globe Road
You know Bethnal Green s going up market when even the pie and mash is posh. The Camel s gourmet pies, served with tasty mash, mushy peas and a boat of gravy, are a popular draw in these parts. For just under a tenner, you can choose from an extensive c
You know Bethnal Green's going up market when even the pie and mash is posh.
The Camel's gourmet pies, served with tasty mash, mushy peas and a boat of gravy, are a popular draw in these parts.
For just under a tenner, you can choose from an extensive choice of fillings including chicken, chorizo, spinach and goats' cheese, as well as the more traditional steak and kidney.
The Camel forms part of the triangle of trendy, cosy Bethnal Green pubs in walking distance from Pubspy's offices.
You may also want to watch:
Located on Globe Road, a quiet backstreet just a short walk from Bethnal Green Tube, this small and sophisticated little pub is less boisterous than its sister establishment, the nearby Florist.
Furnished traditionally with dark mahogany tables, it is a cosy venue to shelter during lazy weekend afternoons with a scruffy paperback from the bookshelf, or one of the board games by the bar.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 10 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
During the summer months, the mixed clientele spill out onto the picnic benches in the alleyway outside. To pubspy's frustration, a table can be difficult to bag on a Friday or Saturday night.
A typical gastro-style drinks menu includes cask ales and continental lagers including Fruli and Amstel.
277 Globe Road