Single review: Mowgli's Road by Marina and the Diamonds
Female breakthrough acts of 2009. It s a long, long list. Start with Little Boots, Florence & The Machine, La Roux and Ladyhawke. More recently Paloma Faith and Alex Roots Even Lady Gaga s first release was this year although she seems to have been annoy
Female breakthrough acts of 2009. It's a long, long list.
Start with Little Boots, Florence & The Machine, La Roux and Ladyhawke. More recently Paloma Faith and Alex Roots
Even Lady Gaga's first release was this year although she seems to have been annoying us forever.
Here comes another one. Marina & The Diamonds. Her first single, Mowgli's Road, is pretty left field when compared with much of her work.
You may also want to watch:
There are plenty of tones of Hazel O'Connor, Siouxsie Sioux and even Bjork in there, but with a catalogue of catchlines from different styles that will tuck it neatly into a variety of radio playlists.
She cites Royksopp, The Distillers, Eminem, M.I.A., Tom Waits and PJ Harvey among her list of influences. Oh and Vivienne Westwood.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 4 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 5 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 8 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 9 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 10 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
Her twittering makes interesting reading - a bit of a contrast in the fashion stakes. "What would everyone say to a pyjama party gig? Have always wanted to perform in slippers and fluffy pjs. We can swap whiskey for tea etc."
Reading her discussing a Hello Kitty party with stablemate Little Boots is a little odd. But given that she hit one million plays on her MySpace page on Friday, it was hardly a surprise to see her tweet "I am so excited about life :)".
There's plenty of straight pop in her repertoire - listen to Obsession at www.myspace.com/marinaandthediamonds
It can be witnessed live at the Hoxton Bar and Kitchen in a couple of weeks if you missed her on the NME Radar tour.
Oh, in case you wondered, she is Marina and her fans are The Diamonds
* Mowgli's Road by Marina & The Diamonds is released on November 16 on 679 Records.
* See Marina & The Diamonds at Hoxton Square Bar & Kiitchen, Hoxton Square, Shoreditch with Wolf Gang and Clock Opera as part of the Levi's Ones To Watch series on November 18