The Verve's Simon Tong plays with folk band Erland and the Carnival in Shoreditch
FOLK band Erland and the Carnival, formed by singer, guitarist and Orkney islander Erland Cooper with ex-The Verve and The Good, The Bad & The Queen guitarist Simon Tong and drummer David Nock, play at Shoreditch s Old Blue Last tonight (Thursday). Togeth
FOLK band Erland and the Carnival, formed by singer, guitarist and Orkney islander Erland Cooper with ex-The Verve and The Good, The Bad & The Queen guitarist Simon Tong and drummer David Nock, play at Shoreditch's Old Blue Last tonight (Thursday).
Together, they produce a sound described by Tong as "Pentangle meets Ennio Morricone meets Love meets 13th Floor Elevators meets Joe Meek".
Erland grew up on the Orkney Islands, where passing musicians and troubadors were a common sight and in his early teens, The Verve and Bert Jansch inspired him to swap the fiddle for the guitar.
Later, having moved to London, Erland sang at Tong's What The Folk club night in Portobello Road, where he was introduced to the former Verve man by the producer Youth.
You may also want to watch:
"It wasn't a regular folk night where people are quiet and stroke their chin," says Tong. "It was a more raucous affair where the acts � as many as 15 a night � had to quieten a noisy baying audience by being good. Erland definitely got people to shut up and listen."
Resolving to form a band, Nock, Tong and Cooper took their name from Jackson C Frank's My Name Is Carnival, a cover of which appears on the album.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
The band's progression since has been fairly unorthodox; they've played gigs at miniature railway stations and their debut EP was individually re-recorded for each of its limited run, meaning no two copies are the same.
Tickets cost �7.50 in advance from www.ticketweb.co.uk or 08700 600 100.