Tower Hamlets politician will not be beaten by 'election smear campaign'
A COUNCILLOR has warned the authors behind smear tactics that they have made her more determined to retain her seat on Tower Hamlets council. Shiria Khatun slammed the gutter politics of the anonymous authors of leaflets falsely claiming that she has
A COUNCILLOR has warned the authors behind smear tactics that they have made her more determined to retain her seat on Tower Hamlets council.
Shiria Khatun slammed the "gutter politics" of the anonymous authors of leaflets falsely claiming that she has Aids and commenting on her age.
The Labour councillor who is fighting to keep her seat representing the East India and Lansbury ward on Tower Hamlets council said: "I am going to be campaigning more energetically and with more determination to win. I am out there on a daily basis."
She has passed the leaflet which was delivered to neighbours near her East London home to the police.
You may also want to watch:
She added: "This is gutter politics. Sooner or later they are going to be caught by the police."
The seasoned campaigner added that people are intelligent and throw rubbish like these leaflets into the bin.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 10 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
The smears have been condemned by senior politicians from all parties.
The Advertiser has reported that other council candidates have also been victims of smear tactics.