What a scorcher! Vicky Park turns up the heat for a fun day for families
- Credit: Rehan Jamil
Children had a bubbling time at Victoria Park’s annual family fun day which attracted 6,000 sun worshippers on Saturday.
It was a day of fairground rides, arts and crafts, children's activities and bands of musicians.
Vicky Park, which has twice been voted Britain's best loved, has 335 summer activities lined up, all free.
Brochures listing activities can be picked up at Ideas Stores, community centres and Tower Hamlets council offices.
The park has a cherished history as "the People's park", opened as London's first large public green space in 1845 after a petition from 30,000 people to the government of the day demanding a "breathing space" as the urban sprawl expanded.
You may also want to watch:
There was no formal or official ceremony. The people just took it over while it was being laid out and started used it.
The park got a £12m makeover in time for the 2012 Olympics and was declared Tower Hamlets' "jewel in the crown".
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
Saturday's big family day out was just another jewel which has twice made Vicky Park the nation's favourite.