What a scorcher! Vicky Park turns up the heat for a fun day for families
- Credit: Rehan Jamil
Children had a bubbling time at Victoria Park’s annual family fun day which attracted 6,000 sun worshippers on Saturday.
It was a day of fairground rides, arts and crafts, children's activities and bands of musicians.
Vicky Park, which has twice been voted Britain's best loved, has 335 summer activities lined up, all free.
Brochures listing activities can be picked up at Ideas Stores, community centres and Tower Hamlets council offices.
The park has a cherished history as "the People's park", opened as London's first large public green space in 1845 after a petition from 30,000 people to the government of the day demanding a "breathing space" as the urban sprawl expanded.
You may also want to watch:
There was no formal or official ceremony. The people just took it over while it was being laid out and started used it.
The park got a £12m makeover in time for the 2012 Olympics and was declared Tower Hamlets' "jewel in the crown".
- 1 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 2 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 3 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 4 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 5 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 6 Updated appeal for information about man last seen in Poplar in January
- 7 MPs pledge to fight on for 'forgotten victims' of IRA Canary Wharf bombing
- 8 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
- 9 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 10 Beer gardens reopening with face masks, sanitisers and cobblestones
Saturday's big family day out was just another jewel which has twice made Vicky Park the nation's favourite.