World wrestling show rolls into The O2
The popular World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) franchise rolled into east London on Friday night for an exhibition show.
Wrestling stars such as John Cena, CM Punk and the current WWE champion Alberto Del Rio were among the line-up at The O2 arena in north Greenwich.
The global WWE brand mixes in-the-ring acrobatics, spectacular live shows and soap-opera worthy storylines that attract fans of all ages.
As part of a current European tour, a thrilling night sparked into life from the get-go with the sound of pyrotechnics thundering around the arena.
Over the next three hours, London fans were treated to displays of strength, agility and all-round entertainment.
You may also want to watch:
And any talk about the authenticity of WWE seemed misplaced when you consider that all the wrestlers on show kept the audience engrossed in the action.
That was often through the high flying moves of John Morrison and Kofi Kingston and the attitude of The Miz and R-Truth.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
The bouts built towards a final fight between Punk and Del Rio, with other fighters soon joining in.
Birthday boy Dolph Ziggler was subjected to not one but four finishing moves led by Punk and Cena - their version of a birthday present.
In the end, The O2 proved to be an excellent venue for showcasing the talents on offer and in the words of The Miz and R-Truth, “that’s the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. And it’s awesome”.
And it will return - prepare for further shows at The O2 next April.