Youth orchestra prepare for winter celebration
An east London youth orchestra will hold its winter celebration tomorrow (December 5), complete with Spanish bagpipes, Indian tablas and Caribbean steel pans.
The Grand Union Youth Orchestra, which rehearses in The Premises Studio in Hackney Road, will perform an eclectic range of international music at The Brady Centre in Hanbury Street.
Up to 25 young musicians, who are taught by world-renowned world and jazz musicians in the affiliated Grand Union Orchestra based in Wentworth Street, will play a festive-themed hour-long concert.
Three new compositions written by members of the group, including one based on Spanish bagpipes and Portuguese drum rhythms and one based on an Indian scale called the Rag Bupali, will be premiered.
The concert is free with mince pies and mulled wine also available and starts at 6.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
For information visit grandunionyouth.org.uk.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week