Cause of roof blaze at Bethnal Green flats revealed
- Credit: Archant
The cause of a blaze which destroyed the roof of a Bethnal Green apartment block, forcing 30 households into temporary accommodation, has been revealed.
London Fire Brigade’s (LFB) investigation team believe the fire at Hadleigh House on Thursday, May 28, was accidental and caused by the unsafe disposal of a cigarette, which caught light to fibreglass framework covering pipes and spread to the roof.
Four people were rescued by firefighters from the early morning blaze in Hadleigh Close and one man was taken to hospital as a precaution.
More than 100 residents of the 30-flat building escaped safely.
A spokesperson for LFB said: “Fires caused by smoking materials including cigarettes, roll-ups, cigars and pipes, result in more deaths than any other type of fire.
You may also want to watch:
“Stub cigarettes out properly and always dispose of them carefully.
“Make sure smoking materials are cold before emptying ashtrays.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 5 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 8 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 9 How seaweed can help save the planet, east London inventor reveals
- 10 Surplus DLR land released at Bow for new housing to tackle homes shortage
“Preferably wet stubs before throwing them into a bin.”
Eighty firefighters battled the blaze after the brigade was called at 3.28am.
It took around two hours to get the fire under control.