Candidates ready for Tower Hamlets by-election on August 12
- Credit: PA/stockshot
Six people have put their hat in the ring to be elected to Tower Hamlets Council in Bethnal Green’s Weavers ward by-election.
The August 12 polls follow the sudden death of Labour’s John Pierce on June 10, who was found in his flat in Bethnal Green nine days after his 40th birthday.
Labour, which controls the council, is being challenged by ex-mayor Lutfur Rahman’s Aspire party as well as bids from Conservatives, Lib Dems, Greens, and Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition.
Five candidates live in the East End, while one is coming in from Redbridge.
Nasrin Khan is fighting for Labour, listing just Tower Hamlets as her address, proposed by Tower Hamlets Labour party's former secretary Graham Taylor and by Lee Griffiths.
Aspire is putting forward Kabir Ahmed from Redbridge, proposed by Faruk Uddin and Muhammed Miah.
You may also want to watch:
The Conservatives, who have two current councillors, have put forward Elliott Weaver from Old Ford Road in Bethnal Green, proposed by the former head of Amnesty International UK Linda Wilkinson and traffic ban campaigner Carol Budd.
The Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition is offering up Hugo Pierre from Cephas Street in Mile End, proposed by Helen Granger and Jane Pehlivan.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 3 'Utterly horrific': Tower Hamlets MPs react to Sir David Amess stabbing
- 4 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 5 £18,000 awarded to Bethnal Green church to bring loo up to scratch
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 Lock-up garage space in Spitalfields used for social housing
- 8 Man, 19, charged after alleged sexual assaults in Tower Hamlets
- 9 Volunteers thanked for running East End food bank for 70 weeks
- 10 Police called as furious families told to quit Bow's 'dangerous' block
Liberal Democrats are fielding Emanuel Andjelic, address given as Tower Hamlets, proposed by Edward Long and Daniel Clatworthy.
The Greens have Nathalie Bienfait, address as Tower Hamlets, proposed by Tatyana Guttmann Hancocks and Benjamin Hancocks.